Friday, October 28, 2005

CoH: Having Fun as a Hero

I’ve been playing City of Heroes for over a week now; I can truly say it’s a fun game… it feels like an MMO-meets-Arcade style game. The action is quite fast paced; missions (so far) scale to team size .. giving you more of a challenge for larger groups, which is nice. Most missions are instances as well, which is also nice.

I’ve already made a ton of characters. The one I am playing the most, right now, is Thermoblaster. He’s currently a level 10 Fire-Fire-based Blaster. I was surprised the name was even available to be honest… so that’s pretty cool too. I joined the Super Group (guild) that my co-workers formed named “Made in Canada”… which is funny because I used to play with guys in a Quake2 clan of the same “Made in Canada” name waaay back when.

I also made a Mylene character; she’s a tad too tall (OK, way too tall) so I’ll have to try and weave a story as to why she so Amazonian in height. She looks pretty cool too, dontcha think?

I’ve made a handful of other characters too… so far I can’t seem to generate a character that feels like a “Karnatos”… I guess the name is not really superhero-ish, maybe that’s why nothing I can come up with seems to fit (yet). I’ll keep taking a swing at things, see if I can’t generate something that looks like a superhero named Karnatos.

Hmmm, as I type I just got the idea that maybe Karnatos is more fitting as a villain for the City of Villains that comes out this Monday… yeah, I’ll likely do that.

Oh! And last night I downloaded the big huge hoarking City of Heroes patch. It’s a massive graphics upgrade, and introduces the cool engine upgrades that CoV brings with it… like rag doll physics and the likes. My machine was definitely running the game slower last night, but it really does look nice. I can imagine, however, that others that have older riggs might be upset with the performance the game gives them now… which does not match what the box claims anymore, I’m sure of it. Oh well, we’ll see what transpires – many people do not like change; myself, I’m all for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home